Terms and Concepts

2nd Hour Class Code: 5BF45CFFBBDCE

6th Hour Class Code: 5BF45D4F5A7A4

3. Keyboarding Terms

Vocabulary Words to Know 

arrow keys
caps lock
home row keys
insertion point
return/enter key
shift key
space bar
word wrap (let the text wrap around)

Getting Ready to Type


Insertion Point. The insertion point is a mark that blinks on the screen. The insertion point may be a line (l or _), a caret (^), or a rectangle ([]). The insertion point appears where the text will be entered. The insertion point moves to the right as you type.

Word Wrap. When you reach the end of a line you are typing, the next words will move down to the next line. This is called word wrap because words wrap to the next line.

Scrolling. When you reach the end of a line while typing text, the text automatically moves up so you can see it. This is called scrolling.

Arrow Keys. The insertion point can be moved around within the text you have typed by using the up, down, left, and right arrow keys.

Tab key.  The tab key is used to indent the first line of a paragraph and tabs are pre-set every 5 spaces until they are changed.

Caps Lock.  Caps Lock is a lock key on many computer keyboards. Pressing it sets an input mode in which typed letters are uppercase by default (i.e. in All Caps).

Home Keys (Home Row). The row on a typewriter or computer keyboard that contains the keys (home keys) to which four fingers of each hand return as a base, on a QWERTY keyboard being A, S, D, and F for the left hand and J, K, L, and the semicolon for the right.

Return/Enter Key. A key that moves the cursor (or insertion point) to the beginning of the next line.

Shift Key. A key on a typewriter or computer keyboard used to switch between lower- and upper-case letters.

Space Bar. A long key on a typewriter or computer keyboard for making a space between words.